Alltel, once the fifth largest wireless phone company in the USA, recently became a meal for Verizon Wireless: in January 2009, Verizon scooped up Alltel�s $5.9 billion in assets and $22.2 billion in debt. The companies expect integration to be complete by late 2009.
What does the Verizon-Alltel merger mean for Alltel customers, their mobile phones, and free ringtones? In most cases, customers can keep their phone numbers, their phones, Alltel ringtones, and other files stored in their handsets.
- Where is the Alltel ringtone website?
- Where else can I download Alltel ringtones?
- Where can I get free Alltel ringtones?
- Can I use my Alltel phone on the Verizon network?
- When will my account be switched from Alltel to Verizon?
Where is the Alltel ringtone website?
Alltel�s own ringtone site can be reached with a computer or through the �Alltel Web� link on a mobile phone. Customers can also text a ringtone order to MYRING.
Alltel�s store features ringtones for $2.99 each. Customers can purchase ringbacks, too. These replace the standard ring that a caller would hear. Alltel ringbacks cost $1.99/year and require a 99� monthly subscription service.
The Alltell ringtone website, like most independent ringtone sites, lets users restrict their search to ringtones and ringbacks that are compatible with a certain phone model.
Where else can I download Alltel ringtones?
Numerous Alltel-compatible ringtone websites can be found with any major search engine. Many websites offer free Alltel ringtones, 99� ringtones, and monthly or yearly deals that significantly reduce the cost per tune. Two popular sites include Myxer and Ringophone. These are compatible with most Alltel phones, Verizon phones, and many other mobile service providers.
- Myxer charges between 99� and $2.99 per Alltel ringtone. Their software works with most Alltel network phones except for LG phones, the Motorola E815, the Samsung R-series, and the Samsung U-series phones.
- Ringophone provides six months of unlimited downloads for $14.99. A yearly package costs $19.99. Ringophone works with all cell phones that have an internet connection and are capable of playing polyphonic ringtones in MIDI or SP-MIDI format.
When Alltel users join the Verizon network, they�ll have some additional options. Funtonia, for instance, charges $23.88 for a year of unlimited downloads. Although this is pricier than Ringophone�s flat rate, Funtonia account holders can download ringtones to three different mobile phone numbers.
Where can I get free Alltel ringtones?
It�s easy to find ads for free Alltel ringtones, but it�s harder to find legitimate deals. Don�t be fooled! Be sure to read each ringtone website�s terms and possible pricing before providing your phone number.
If you�d rather not read the fine print, here are some other options:
- Coca-Cola offers ringtones through MyCokeRewards. If you drink Coke products, just collect points from the packaging and redeem the numbers at the MyCokeRewards website for free Alltel ringtones and other deals. This offer is valid until mid-November 2009.
- Make your own ringtones through a free online program. For example, Myxer charges for many of its ringtones, but the website also offers some Alltel ringtones for no charge. Visitors can also make their own ringtones for free! Simply upload a music file, edit it with Myxer�s simple program, and send it to your phone.
Note that while some websites do not charge users to make or send ringtones, Alltel or Verizon might charge for each data download. This depends on the particulars of a cell phone service package.
Can I use my Alltel phone on the Verizon network?
For most Alltel customers, the answer will be �Yes.� Since Alltel and Verizon have relied on mostly the same handsets, use the same digital channel access method (CDMA), and both operate EV-DO 3G networks, virtually every Alltel customer can use his or her current mobile phone on the expanded Verizon network.
Exceptions include customers in certain geographic regions identified by the federal government; Verizon�s FCC approval was contingent upon Verizon selling assets in areas where it overlapped with Alltel. Verizon has listed the affected counties here.
When will my account be switched from Alltel to Verizon?
Accounts are being converted region by region. The companies expect to be fully integrated by late 2009. Customers should receive notification by mail well in advance of the scheduled change.